Currently there are about 2.5 million children being raised by their grandparents.
Idaho has nearly 18,000 children living in households headed by grandparents and other relatives.
The following are issues that may affect grandparents who are raising their grandchildren either directly or indirectly. Click on the link to view either the proposal or bill.
- Representative JoAn E. Wood's Pilot Project, Region VII: www.legislature.idaho.gov/sessioninfo/2006/interim/mentalhealth_woodpres.pdf
- For bill text, please click here.
- This failed bill was looking at improving health and safety requirements for children in Idaho day care facilities: House Bill: 163: Daycare Facilities -For myths and facts about the above bill, click here.
- New York Senator, Hillary Rodham Clinton, with others reintroduced a Kinship Caregiver Support Act and it is now Bill number S. 661. For a complete summary of what the bill entails, click here.
To advocate for issues concerning grandparents, you can contact your local legislator. Make your voice heard!
The following are the districts that cover our area.
District 31: Bear Lake, Bonneville, Caribou, Franklin & Teton Counties
District 32: Rural Bonneville County
District 33: City of Idaho Falls
District 34: Fremont & Madison Counties
District 35: Butte, Clark, Custer, Fremont, Jefferson & Lemhi Counties.
To contact your local legislator, click on the link below.
To send an email:
- Click on the link above
- Find your district
- Click on the name of the Senator or Representative you would like to email.
For more information or assistance, please contact our Information and Assistance office at 522-5391 or by email at .